INDIGENOUS BOOK CLUB
HOSTED BY THE OFFICE OF INIDGENOUS INITIATIVES
The Office of Indigenous Initiatives at the University of Toronto is pleased to invite you to join our Indigenous Book Club, led by John Croutch, Indigenous Training Coordinator, Office of Indigenous Initiatives.
ABOUT THE BOOK
Settler: Identity and Colonialism in 21st Century Canada
By Emma Battell Lowman and Adam J. Barker
Canada has never had an “Indian problem”— but it does have a Settler problem. But what does it mean to be Settler? And why does it matter?
“Both callous and empathetic approaches to indigenous dysfunction have always focused on the Indian ‘problem.’ And yet, settler colonialism as a mode of domination is fundamentally constituted by the unequal relationship between indigenous and non-indigenous collectives. This book finally focuses on the real ‘problem.’ It was hidden in plain sight all along: the settler.” — Lorenzo Veracini, associate professor of history and politics, Swinburne University of Technology, author of Settler Colonialism
HOW IT WORKS
The Indigenous Book Club will connect virtually, through Zoom, where participants will discuss Settler: Identity and Colonialism in 21st Century Canada. Join us from October 16, 2023 to November, 27, 2023, every Monday from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM.
Our goals for this study guide are the following:
- To have a working understanding of settler colonialism, its historical roots and how it continues to operate today
- To analyze our own lives, personal and professional, to see where and how settler colonialism may be enacted and how we can challenge those practices with new ones
- To have an understanding of decolonization and how it could be enacted personally, professionally, and collectively
- To develop an awareness of the local Indigenous peoples on whose land we are currently on and how we might begin to develop a relationship with those peoples
- And finally how to develop ethical relationships with Indigenous peoples to continue the work of challenging settler colonialism in Canada
Please note that a copy of the book will be provided to each participant. Joining is free, but will be limited to 20 participants so please be sure to register on Eventbrite.
Questions? Email John Croutch at firstname.lastname@example.org.